Welcome to my site...

I am a highly motivated, self driven woman who believes there is no such thing as impossible. You can do whatever you set your mind to if you put in the hard work, sacrifice and don't let any obstacles stop you from accomplishing your goals. You must be healthy mentally, physically and emotionally to have a truly fulfilling life.

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Red Rock Glory!

Oh happy day! After being on the road for 10 days and then recouping for another 3 days... It's been about 2 long and treacherous weeks since I have worked out. I'm finding that this is a common problem for road warriors. While my frequent flyer miles are nothing to brag about... yet, I know I better get two things figured out as my career continues to catapult. First is this fitness thing. Second is that nutrition thing. Today, I will solely focus on fitness. 

As if it weren't hard enough to find time to get in a workout at home, I'm quickly learning that fitness on the road is no joke! The past two months I've traveled to California, Mexico, Indiana, and Florida on business. Indiana and Florida were the longest because I was there for the National Speakers Association (NSA) convention and the Toastmasters International (TI) convention, respectively. While in Indiana, I did manage to get some time to get the blood flowing, mostly because I was there as an attendee rather than working a table. However, Florida really kicked my butt! 

For those of you that don't know, asides from being a personal trainer, I also have a full time marketing gig. One of the people I work with is Darren LaCroix, who is a World Champion of Public Speaking. At the TI convention, we worked an average of 10 hours per day for 10 days straight! Whoa Nelly! Of course this is not customary. We were taking full advantage of every moment we could. However, this rigorous work load really put a damper on my fitness routine. Prior to this trip, I was hiking about an hour per day with my dogs, Vegas and Alejo. Not only was I burning 600-900 calories per day, I was also conditioning my body, especially my lungs in an incredible way. The lack of exercise was wearing me down. 

While on this trip, I noticed that my body was aching, I felt stiff, and more than anything, I was exhausted! I could not wait to get home to take my dogs for a hike/ run in the Red Rock Canyon. I needed a few days of rest before I finally conjured up the energy to take them out. So this morning, that is exactly what we did. We alternated between hiking and running up and down the canyon, then on the road back to our car... all in all, we covered about 3-4 miles and burned 1023 calories!! The best part of it all was the uphill runs. Gotta love that burn! 

I'm sure I'll feel it tomorrow, but it was so worth it! 


For the next trip, I will have a road warrior fitness plan prior to the event. I know many business travelers face this same dilemma. If you have any suggestions or if you want to keep updated, feel free to leave a comment or follow my blog! 

No comments:

Post a Comment