Welcome to my site...

I am a highly motivated, self driven woman who believes there is no such thing as impossible. You can do whatever you set your mind to if you put in the hard work, sacrifice and don't let any obstacles stop you from accomplishing your goals. You must be healthy mentally, physically and emotionally to have a truly fulfilling life.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Fitness on the Road

Oh my word! It has been 3 weeks since my last post. I have been traveling with my Darren LaCroix who is a world champion public speaker, and for which I do marketing for, meeting some pretty amazing people and learning so much!

In the past month and a half, or so, I have been to California, Mexico - for the first time ever, and Indianapolis. In each place we worked public speaking events and our last stop, Indy, we worked an event and had the opportunity to attend the NSA convention. (For those that don't know, it's the National Speakers Association).

Can I say WOW?!?! I had the privilege of meeting and speaking with so many brilliant people! Each session I attended, each speaker I heard added a little more substance to my life. I can't begin to explain have blessed I am to have had that opportunity.

Ok... that said... Two of the biggest challenges I faced while traveling was keeping up with my nutrition and  incorporating fitness into my schedule. By the time we hit up Indy, I think I finally had a handle on it. They had gym in the hotel, which was pretty awesome, especially if I only had 20-30minutes to workout. However, being the outdoor enthusiast that I am, I chose to primarily run outdoors.

  • I knew I was going to enjoy some of the local foods so I put to use the 80/20 rule
    • 80% healthy foods... 20% not so much
  • I carried healthy snacks that I could slip in my purse so I wouldn't have to leave a session to eat 
  • I created a "food contract" because I noticed that sometimes the people I was traveling with would go, for what seemed like endless hours, without eating
  • I found people to workout with including Eden Little (who is a triathlete, mother of 3 amazing kids with cerebral palsy), Eric Culverson, Jolene Jang, Scott Friedman and Craig Valentine. Each of these people set aside 30 minutes - 2 hours of their very busy schedules to focus on fitness. Not an easy task while attending a week long convention and working!
  • To make it fun, I incorporated a light boot camp style run (for example, going on a 4-5 mile run and incorporating, staggered push ups, crunches, and running stairs). I wanted to make sure I got in upper and lower body, core, and some cardio to align with my personal goals. 


I know that Jaime Eason also has a playing cards workout that helps keep her in shape while on the road. 

I have been guilty of making excuses why I have no time to workout, even at home. However, if i want to see an improvement in my health and fitness, if I want to be an example for my children, if I want to accomplish my goals, there's simply no room for excuses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment