Welcome to my site...

I am a highly motivated, self driven woman who believes there is no such thing as impossible. You can do whatever you set your mind to if you put in the hard work, sacrifice and don't let any obstacles stop you from accomplishing your goals. You must be healthy mentally, physically and emotionally to have a truly fulfilling life.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Flexibility

This week I started Bikram yoga because I want to be more flexible and detox. I wasn't sure what to expect. I had done yoga here and there and I knew that it would be a great way to increase my flexibility, but I had never done Bikram. I heard that people sometimes get sick, which is supposed to be a good thing because that is a sign of detox. However, even though I wanted to detox, I did not want to get sick. I wasn't sure how I would handle the heat and humidity, even though I grew up in South Florida and should be used to it. I was worried that I may get claustrophobic if I couldn't breathe normally.

Fortunately, I put my concerns aside and went to a class. I signed up for the unlimited yoga for a month to really be able to feel the benefits of it. So far I went for three days and took the fourth day off. I can tell you that it is slightly challenging but awesome! From day one, I could feel my body stretching further than I normally could. I was happy because I was finally able to stretch my hamstrings! I think that by the time I get through this month, I make actually be able to increase my range of motion.

To put things in perspective, this is how much my lack of flexibility was affecting me. My legs have always been the strongest part of my body. One day, I leg pressed about 200 lbs but had a hard time with 40 lbs on a prone leg curl machine! I knew I had to do something. I am excited to see how much of a change I will see after 30 days.

Many times, people neglect to stretch because they want to hurry up and get on with the workout. What they fail to realize is that if their body has a shortened range of motion because they lack the flexibility needed to complete a full movement, they risk injury and they are limiting their progress. Good flexibility improves range of motion, improves motor function, improves posture, and prevents injury. Next time you are getting ready to workout, remember to include time to stretch those muscles!

No comments:

Post a Comment