Welcome to my site...

I am a highly motivated, self driven woman who believes there is no such thing as impossible. You can do whatever you set your mind to if you put in the hard work, sacrifice and don't let any obstacles stop you from accomplishing your goals. You must be healthy mentally, physically and emotionally to have a truly fulfilling life.

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Running tips for a 5K

*Practicing on a treadmill is fine, but start running outside. Running on a treadmill is different from running on concrete or all terrain. Your body needs to get used to it.
*I like to start with a sprint then slow down to a steady pace. Every so often I sprint again and slow back down. Once I am close to the finish line, I use everything I have in me and sprint to the end. It is perfectly OK to slow down to a walk if you feel your body needs it. Avoid stopping completely because it is much harder to get started back up again. Remember to listen to your body. I keep a steady pace, but throw in a sprint on occasion to increase metabolism, gain mileage, and keep myself motivated.
*Make sure to rest before your workouts. Your body needs rest for muscle repair and growth.
*Stretch before and after your run. Stretching before helps warm up your muscles. When you workout, you are contracting your muscles. Stretching after helps loosen the muscles and avoids injury.
*Drink lots of water. You should be drinking about 1/2 - 1 gallon of water per day. Sound like a lot? That is equivalent to 8-16 cups of water. Not only does water help keep you hydrated, it also aids in weight loss and eliminates toxins.

No comments:

Post a Comment